10.09.2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Alien Abduction



Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and The Bookish. Basically, you create a list tailored to the week's topic and share it with other readers by linking up at The Broke and The Bookish. You can find out more information here.

This week's topic: Choose a Past Topic - Books I would save if I were to be abducted by aliens.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
Assuming these aliens aren't hostile, and they'll let me read (before dissecting me) I would bring this book because of its anthropological/observational elements as they relate to aliens on another planet. It's also probably the best Sci-Fi book I've ever read.

Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling
No explanation necessary.

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
I would bring books that demonstrated certain aspects of humanity--good and bad. This is one of those for me.

The Invisible Man by H.G Wells
Just a really short, entertaining piece of science fiction.

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Humanity book. Also sitting atop my favorites list at the moment.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
I would bring some lengthy reads and Ayn Rand wrote interesting stuff. I think this qualifies as a humanity piece as well.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Another favorite.

Various foundational religious texts.
I would (if I could) try to explain them and their influence on humans to the alien abductors.

Title of another lengthy book.
I can't think of anymore at this exact moment. What's a lengthy book (let's say 600+ pages) that you enjoyed reading?

Title of another humanity book.
I need one that displays some decent to good aspects of humanity. Any suggestions?


You might be wondering why I chose this topic (out of all the possible past topics). Well, I'll tell you.
There are many things in life I feel I can deal with or am capable of dealing with; certain natural disasters, issues at the workplace, criminals, Redskins' fans, bad hair days...ghosts, zombies, etc. But one thing I cannot deal with--Aliens. I have an unnatural fear of aliens, "extra-terrestrials". A completely absurd fear, I might add. I want nothing to do with them (unless I'm killing them in video games) Alien movies?--No! I don't watch those UFO specials on tv, ever. I didn't always have this fear...thank you M. Night Shyamalan. Do I think I'll be abducted by aliens? Odds are pretty low. But just in case...I'll know what books to bring.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, Atlas Shrugged is indeed a a lengthy read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I haven't actually read Atlas Shrugged (because it is like 1200 pages, I think. Right?) But I will. One day.

      Delete
  2. Humanity-wise, I'd grab The Book Thief. It shows human frailty and cruelty and resilience and joy.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-rewind-top-ten-bookish.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Thief is floating somewhere in the middle of my reading list. I selected it for one of my reading projects this year, but I decided to wrap the project up earlier than I had intended. So The Book Thief didn't get read. But everyone seems to like it, from what I hear. I'll probably get to it sometime in the winter.

      I feel like I only read books that show the frail and the cruel...

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete