1.04.2013

Book Beginnings - The Tombs of Atuan



Book Beginnings is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of a book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts and impressions about the sentence or book. Remember to include the title of the book and the author AND link up at the Rose City Reader

One high horn shrilled and ceased. The silence that followed was shaken only by the sound of many footsteps keeping time with a drum struck softly at heart-pace (5)
This beginning is from the first chapter of the book. It's a decent opener, I think. Definitely a little eerie, especially considering the title of the chapter: The Eaten One. This is the second book in the Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. LeGuin. I read A Wizard of Earthsea in 2012. (Click here for the review) I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I really love LeGuin's writing. I hope to have a review up by sometime this weekend. 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this excerpt! I've been meaning to get around to LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle, maybe I will this year xD

    Here's my Book Beginning on Friday =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can fit them into your reading schedule,I definitely recommend them...even though this is only second one. They're short reads. I'd love to know your thoughts on the books.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I like the images conjured up by that opener. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That opening definitely does have an eerie aspect. I have to wonder whether that will carry through the rest of the book.

    Here's my book beginning:
    http://www.sinnfulbooks.com/2013/01/book-beginnings.html

    sinn @ sinnful books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though LeGuin is the queen of Oregon authors, I haven't read any of her books. But I have Lavinia coming up on my TBR shelf.

    Thanks for participating in the first 2013 Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete