1.11.2013

Book Beginnings - The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of a book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts and impressions about the sentence or book. Remember to include the title of the book and the author AND link up at the Rose City Reader

Our hero was not one of those Dominican cats everybody's always going on about--he wasn't no home-run hitter or a fly bachatero, not a playboy with a million hots on his jock. And except for one period early in his life, dude never had much luck with the females (how very un-Dominican of him). He was seven then. 
I'm not very far into this one, maybe forty pages or so, but I'm smiling and laughing with every page turn. The tone and approach of this novel is a change-up from what I normally read and I'm really enjoying it. I know I shouldn't snicker at the generalizations tossed around in this book, but I can't help it.

12 comments:

  1. It's always fun to try something different...this one sounds good!

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "voice" in this book's beginning. This sounds like a story I'd love.
    My Friday 56/Book Beginning post is from GOODNIGHT NOBODY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The voice is unique and funny. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I fell in love with this book too. Were you surprised to see all the footnotes at the bottom of the page? I learned a lot about Trujillo. I think that's the right dictator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, el Jefe--Trujillo. Un mal hombre...

      If you're further intrigued by him, I would recommend Feast of the Goat por Mario Vargas Llosa. I read it not too long ago. Very interesting insight into Trujillo's persona.

      Delete
  4. I love this book and have bought it as a gift multiple times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend recommended it to me. What a fun gift you've been giving!

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I hope this book goes better for you than it did for me. I actually abandoned it several hundred pages into it. I keep wondering if it is too late for me to pick it up again. Sigh.

    Anne @ My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting opening lines! I hope you're still enjoying this book and that it's still making you smile. I found your blog via Rose City Reader's site. Look forward to visiting in the future. Best.

    Lindsay

    http://thelittlereaderlibrary.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete