5.11.2012

Book Beginnings - Drowning Ruth

Hola! We're trying something new today called Book Beginnings. 


Book Beginnings is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Share the first sentence (or so) of a book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts and impressions about the sentence or book. Remember to include the title of the book and the author AND link up at the Rose City Reader


Okay, so here's mine from Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz:
Ruth remembered drowning.
   "That's impossible," Aunt Amanda said. "It must have been a dream".  
But Ruth maintained that she had drowned, insisted on it for years, even after she should have known better. 
My thoughts:

I actually thought this was a lukewarm beginning. The very next sentence is way more captivating-- I would have started the book with it--but I don't think I'm allowed to share it...I'm about 60 pages into the book, and it's really good. I think it's about family secrets. Oh, how I love family secrets.

 

10 comments:

  1. Okay, now I'm moving this one up on my stacks! I've had this book for quite awhile...and I'm not sure why I haven't yet read it. Except, of course, for my numerous books waiting...lol

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I stumbled upon it accidently. I thought it sounded very cool so I nominated it for my bookclub, and wouldn't you know, my fellow bookclubbers thought it sounded interesting as well. It's our May pick. I'm going to try and knock it out over the weekend...I too have many many books waiting to be read. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. That remembrance is certainly eye catching. Here is my post:

    https://twitter.com/#!/silverjo37/status/200970246117523456

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. I'm glad you thought so. I'll be sure to check yours out too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. It certainly makes one curious to read further -- how can one remember drowning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the question of the hour? ...I'm not that far into the book yet. Maybe they drowned and came back to life somehow. I don't know, we'll see. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like an interesting book - I've never heard of it but am intrigued now.

    Have a great weekend!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hadn't heard of it either. Apparently, it's on Oprah's Bookclub list...and since Oprah turns everything into gold, I was surprised I didn't know about it before. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Not a book I'm familiar with. Would need to check it out to see if it's something I'd like or not. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I read that book, but the opening doesn't sound familiar at all. I'll have to go back and check.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete