5.08.2012

Adios, Maurice Sendak.


(1928-2012)
For me Sendak was able to capture perfectly, the darker side in a most honest, ugly, sincere and scary way. His words and illustrations really spoke to me, someone whose middle name should of/could of have been Melancolia...To me he was just so real. He said whatever, however. Unapologetic, candid and complex.
Most people may know him best for Where the Wild Things Are. It was beautiful and terrifying and one of the most stressful things I've ever seen/read and I loved it. I enjoyed the 2009 movie adaptation...that was the last time I gave him or his work much thought, that is until I watched the Colbert Report's two-part interview with him in January. Hilarious. He will be missed.
 
The New York Times posted a great article today -- Maurice Sendak, Author of Splendid Nightmares and this NPR interview from last year is fantastic:
I have nothing now but praise for my life. I'm not unhappy. I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more. ... What I dread is the isolation. ... There are so many beautiful things in the world which I will have to leave when I die, but I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment