2.26.2013

Review - The Sandman, Vol.1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
by Neil Gaiman
Illustrated by Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg, Malcolm Jones III
240+ pages

Description via Goodreads
I walk by her side, and the darkness lifts from my soul. I walk with her, and I hear the gentle beating of mighty wings...(230)



The first of eight, The Sandman Volume One: Preludes and Nocturnes is an intriguing blend of dark, gruesome and playful elements. The illustrations alone are amazing and fitting of the mood of the story. In a nutshell, the reader follows the Sandman on his adventure from capture by occultists to regaining his reign over the realm of dreams and nightmares. The Sandman will encounter a number of zany and horrific characters along his journey.

My favorite part artistically and conceptually (overall really) is 'The Sound of Her Wings'. I love the idea that not only is the Sandman dark yet ambiguous in his intentions, but also that he is morose, brooding (goth, if you will) and searching for something more... And his sister is Death--I love that!
At times the situations presented in the volume seem a little out of focus...that is to say, the concept behind what's happening is good, but it's sort of all over the place. More specifically, I raised an eyebrow at '24 Hours' I really didn't care for Dr. John Dee's side story--seemed extra. However, there is no doubt direction can and will be found in the volumes that follow. I'd be lying if I said this is could be appealing to everyone--because it won't be. All I know is I can't wait to read the other volumes.

.
The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

Four Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment